Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Duty of Free Speech

I saw in the news today that one person bit off another's finger during a debate on the nationalization of healthcare.  That's disappointing.  However, I am a big fan of lively and spirited debate.  I always enjoy participating in a passionate discussion on an issue with someone who holds a opinion very different than my own.  It's even more enjoyable when that other person has expended some effort in becoming educated on the issue.  This happened to me last night when I called my brother, Jared, to wish him a happy birthday.

These kinds of discussions help me to sharpen and refine my own thinking.  I remember when protests against the war in Iraq were characterized as "un-American speech" (as if there were such a thing).  Now, I see protests against the nationalization of health care characterized as "attacks against our president."  Nonsense.  Read what smart people on both sides have to say (there are smart people on both sides), and then open your mouth.  I think the right to Free Speech is more like a duty of Free Speech.

No comments: