Monday, August 24, 2009

Good, Better, Best

In October, 2007, Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave a talk in LDS General Conference entitled Good, Better, Best. It's been a while since I read it, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. There is so much to do. I am so busy all the time, and I'm sure most folks are. There are so many good activities to be a part of, and so much good and interesting information to be consumed. How am I supposed to have time for it all. The short answer is, I'm not. In his talk, Oaks says that more information is created in one minute on the internet, than one person could consume in a lifetime. There just isn't time for it all.

If so, "better" and "good" are not good enough. My time here on earth is finite, and comparably short. And, this world has so many of the best things to offer. An honest evaluation tells me that there is probably not even enough time for all of the best things. If that is the case, why should I be spending my time on anything but the best things?

I suppose that the most difficult work, then, is to quickly and correctly identify the best things, and then to spend my time engaging in only those activities.

No comments: